Happy Monday TV fans! After watching Showtime’s Shameless season 8 episode 3 last night, I am left with the familiar saying “the family who prays together stays together,” although in this case it’s more like the family who pays together stays together. Please note spoilers are ahead if you have not gotten a chance to watch yet. In last night’s episode, Fiona proves she is right once again to her family and lets the new neighbor know that she is not one to step on. Kev embraces his new commitment in life to ask every woman he sees about how often she does a self-exam while V sets everything right with Svetlana and makes a deal. It’s good to see Svetlana back in her heels again ready to stomp over anyone who gets in her way of living the American dream. Sure her dream may be to open up a Quiznos in the mid-west, but who are we to judge. Meanwhile, Lip pays it forward and tries to help his former professor while Frank embraces a new identity. My top 5 moments from Shameless season 8 episode 3 are:
5) Kev shows Fiona how to do a self breast exam and expands his vocabulary in the process. Kev is proving that he is ready to spread the news to anyone who will listen on the importance of checking your breasts. You would think that just talking about the importance would be enough, but he is not done until he actually demonstrates this on you. Kev also shows off his sharp new vocab utilizing words like “malignant” and he is very proud of this. It is something really important so as long as Kev is helping others become more aware, more power to him.
4) Frank proves his worth as “Francis.” It may seem like Frank is making another sad attempt to turn over a new leaf and embrace the origins of his name. He even brings over a dead squirrel in the process. While he may not be Saint Francis, Frank tells the meth dealer after his family that he is not going to threaten them anymore and that they paid him what they owed. There is a glimmer of real father here protecting his family which even makes Fiona happy, finally saying “thanks Francis.” Is Frank changing for good? Probably not, but it’s nice to see him stepping up to help his family.
3) Fiona tells Mel she can “be ghetto.” Fiona is really taking pride in the apartment building she owns and is dedicated to turning it into a suitable place to live. After she meets with a candidate to rent the apartment, neighbor Mel lies to him and says that it is infested with bed bugs just so she can have her friends move in for a cheaper rate. Fiona confronts Mel and tells her that she does not have time for her petty games. She gets inches away from her face and doesn’t break in the slightest, showing her neighbor that she is not one to mess with. She even goes as far to tell Mel that if she thinks she knows what bed bugs are, she will pour them all over her bed just so she has an excuse to burn every last possession of hers.
2) Fiona was right. When the kids come to Fiona about what to do about the angry meth dealer, Fiona is more than willing to help set it right. But not before she has each and every member of the family say “I was wrong, you were right Fiona.” Fiona has been telling them the entire time that this was a bad idea, but the kids continued on anyway and she wants them to learn a valuable lesson.
1) The Gallagher family digs up Monica. So it happens that Fiona buried the rest of the Meth with their dead mother, Monica which leads to an interesting bonding moment between the siblings. They are covered in dirt, digging for an eternity, and you would think this would be bad enough. Carl then uses a forklift to speed up the process, only to drop the coffin, which opens suddenly as their dead Mother falls out. Their screams of horror are hilarious, but they work together as a team while they continue to tell Fiona that she was right all along.
I hope you enjoyed the list and feel free to post your own thoughts and comments on Shameless below. Happy viewing!
Amy Koto, TV Fanatic
If you enjoyed this blog, I would love it if you would click the follow button on your way out to subscribe. Thanks for your support!